Monday, May 08, 2006

Follow your own path - a Portrait

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
by James Joyce


- You made me confess the fears that I have. But I will tell you also what I do not fear. I do not fear to be alone or to be spurned for another or to leave whatever I have to leave. And I am not afraid to make a mistake, even a great mistake, a lifelong mistake and perhaps as long as eternity too. -248

What I enjoyed most about this book was that I admired Stephen for his extreme sense of individuality and amazing inner strength.

As a little boy, he was shown as obedient and sensitive; yet, when he was wrongly punished by Father Dolan,
despite tremendous fear and mental struggle, Stephen took the issue to the rector. Growing up in an exceedingly religious environment, he was being persuaded to become a priest, with earnest expectations from the school and family, and, himself being indeed very dedicated to his faith, he decided instead to follow his own not-yet-defined path. When he was pressured by other students to sign the pledge for "universal peace", an obviously noble goal, he declined firmly and publicly.

Amazing and inspiring.

No comments: