Sunday, July 02, 2006

"Just behind (one oozy footstep) Frost" - from Pale Fire

I am in the mood for poetry recently. came across this passage in Pale Fire and loved it.

"Frost is the author of one of the greatest short poems in the English language, a poem that every American boy knows by heart, about the wintry woods, and the dreary dusk, and the little horsebells of gentle remonstration in the dull darking air, and that prodigious and poignant end --two closing lines identical in every syllable, but one personal and physical, and the other metaphysical and universal. I dare not quote from memory lest I displace one small precious word.

With all his excellent gifts, John Shade could never make his snowflakes settle that way." - p p.203

The last sentence made me smile - some writing to have made VN humble! ;-)
Needless to say, I, too, love this wondrous little piece of pearl:

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
Robert Frost
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

1 comment:

passerby said...

hi cannon!

"三重意境": what is the 3rd?

once in the poetic mood - actually more in the reading mood. i am no poet like you; only rarely would something "come" and "perching on my hand" (VN). ;-)