Thursday, July 23, 2009

Frank McCourt Passed Away


Angela's Ashes and 'Tis

Frank McCourt

I started this Pulitzer winning memeoir with high expectations (it was instantly a highly acclaimed book ) and was not disappointed. The childhood story, wrapped in the thicket of Irish culture, was sad, heavy and touching; the narrative smooth, poetic yet non-sentimental. This combination made an easy reading and left a lasting effect even after the book ended.

"'Tis" was a recount of the author's growing-up experience since he came back to America in late teen. It picked up where "Ashes" ended and more than made up what I felt unsatisfied after the first book. So these two books are essentially one and a very good one.

3 comments:

My Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My Blog said...

That's sad. I also read his autobiographical telling of his long teaching career in public schools, "Teacher Man", and wished that he was my sons' teacher, funny and sensitive.

passerby said...

yeah, i have yet to read your blog - if only i could read frech. :))